We have an exciting opportunity for a Trend Researcher to join our team. This role requires someone who can work full-time in our head office in Newcastle. Please see the Job Description below, details for how to apply and deadline for applications.
Reporting to: Managing Director
Collaborating with: Senior Trend Analysts, Non-Executive Director, Studio Manager, New Business Manager, Designers, Trend Researchers and Junior Trend Researchers.
We are looking for a Trend Researcher with 2-3 years industry-relevant experience in a trend forecasting agency, head office retail environment or similar. This role involves curating content for our seasonal trend books, overseeing our digital reports and working on bespoke consultancy projects.
This role is suited to someone with an exceptional creative eye who has a deep knowledge of future trends, an ability to source and create unique and inspiring visual imagery and a strong commercial understanding.
Our Home Interiors and Kid’s Lifestyle Trend Books are both physical and digital publications that sell in over 22 countries to some of the world’s most respected brands and retailers. The Trend Researcher will take the contributions from our bi-annual Trend Panels and work with our team to craft inspiring, unique, on-brand commercially powerful trend concepts through imagery, colour palettes, print designs and creative language.
In addition to working on our Trend Books, this role includes managing a small team to create our Retail and Trade Show Reports, and collaborating with our team to create bespoke trend insights for our clients.
Actively contributing to trend forecasting. Thinking independently and creatively. Managing freelance contributors and interns. Steering creative concepts for the Trend Books and actively contributing to creative thinking. Running projects, briefing teams, editing and validating research. Crafting trend insights appropriate to Trend Bible publications.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Implementing – and where necessary creating – new systems and processes
- Planning and organising
- Attending trade and graduate shows and relevant cultural events
- Tracking, monitoring and evidencing trends
- Briefing freelancers and managing freelance contribution to the business
- Directing the contribution of freelance researchers and interns
- Forwarding sales enquiries to the New Business Manager
Trend Books (Home & Kid’s Lifestyle)
- Attending and helping to run the seasonal Trend Panels
- Researching and sourcing social, cultural and consumer trend intelligence
- Refining and steering creative concepts and ensuring they are commercially viable
- Sourcing inspirational trend images
- Following the critical path
- Identifying future trend drivers and influences
- Requesting images and materials from potential contributors
- Providing creative direction for the Stylist/Photographer to create original imagery in our seasonal photo shoots
- Creating inspiring page layouts
- Crafting commercially sound colour palettes
- Writing copy and annotation
- Creating print, pattern and material briefs for Designers
- Managing and editing visual input from Junior Trend Researchers
Reports (Trade Show and Retail Reports)
- Attending trade shows, recording evidence of findings and articulating key trends
- Conducting store visits, recording evidence of findings and articulating key trends
- Managing the contribution from overseas Trend Researchers
- Cultivating an analytical, sceptical and rigorous approach to findings
- Clustering and collating trends into report style
- Using our Tone of Voice guidelines to create on-brand report style commentary
- Follow the critical path
- Understanding clients’ competitors and external influences
- Researching and sourcing social, cultural and consumer trend intelligence bespoke to clients’ brand
- Writing trend reports and trade show reports
- Delivering trend briefings
- Planning monthly feed content where applicable
Core Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Excellent organisational skills
- Strong visual and styling skills
- Ability to develop commercial trend stories and interpret trends for brands/retailers
- Understanding of our core market and the manufacturing process from concept to product
- Ability to delegate, guide others and develop leadership skills
- Demonstrate both independence and ability to work in a team
- Proficiency at Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent verbal, written and visual communication skills
- A thorough understanding of the trend industry
- Industry relevant experience
- Proficiency and experience of public speaking
Please submit CV, covering letter and 2-4 relevant examples of work as low res PDF or JPG by email to joanna@ trendbible.com
Deadline for applications: 30 November 2015